Saturday, January 31, 2015

I found Nemo! (And Dory)

You'll never guess who I ran into while snorkeling? Nemo!   Dory was there too... Nemo swam away in seconds while Dory casually swam below me without a care in the world. The sea life in Hawaii is absolutely amazing and filled with bright exuberant colors that catch your eye. There are so many varieties of fish, I couldn't even  begin to tell you all the different shapes and sizes we saw. I don't know if you recall  all the details in the classic movie  Finding Nemo  but, do you remember the huge school of fish that made fun of Nemo's dad by imitating him? Well I happened to find myself amongst them also,  and was surrounded by little silver fish swimming back and fourth trying to confuse me. They are very annoying fish that follow you and storm through the reef like they own it. Later on we saw a couple of the lifeguards take an afternoon break on their paddle boards, head  out with long spears to try and catch some fish.  They returned about an hour later with a fish speared through and lying on the paddle board.   Apparently on January 1st all fishing is banned off Waikiki for the year of 2015, they have alternate years of banning the fish in an effort to preserve the marine life in the area so that fish was caught on the 31st Dec 2014 - he would still be swimming around the reef had he survived the spear one more day!    Back on the reef  I found a puffer fish, he was very cool,  I had never seen an actual living puffer fish until I explored the coast of Hawaii! They come in all sizes, we saw a small black and white spotted one then a huge yellow one swimming casually. next  to us.   The fish were all over the reef, hiding in little overhangs or swimming right next to you,  they were all so beautiful.  I am so glad that the Government bans the fishing every other year, it gives the fish a break,  fair is fair. The fish have to have a chance to keep their numbers strong and  they already have all the natural predators in their ocean food chain. We also ran into fish that looked like little knives, they were very thin and long with a silver coloring. My overall favorite fish would have to be thee yellow ones with black lines above and below their eyes that made them look like they had eyelashes! My least favorite would have to have been the black and white spotted eels that slithered through the water, and were very aggressive.

Photo: Taken with Gopro Camera

Video: Finding Nemo

Hawaii's water temperature, unlike California,  is extremely warm,  it ranged from 75-85 degrees F the entire time I was there. The trade winds are the only reason Hawaii stays somewhat cool,  otherwise it would be a paradise inside of a heated oven. The waves in the south by the city are very small and have barely any currents but the north has the huge waves depending on the day and the  currents. The sound of the waves crashing is like a bedtime lullaby for me, I absolutely love the sound of waves and the wind rustling the branches of the palm trees.   If I could have anything it would be a house on the beach and summer year round!  The beach is always peaceful  especially when the sun is out,  there is a slight breeze and you have a fresh fruit smoothie in your hand,  life really couldn't get better.  To sum up I love the salt water flowing  through my hair and the sun beaming down, I really wouldn't mind living in Hawaii for a year ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment